Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Moving, Spanish, and Hurricanes! OH MY!!!!

Doesn't have the same ring to it as lions, tigers, and bears, but it sure felt that scary at times. What a couple of weeks!!! I have felt challenged and blessed, alone and broken, in great company and excited, loved and bored....it has been an emotionally busy couple of weeks. Tomorrow marks two weeks in this beautiful country. And I feel like I have nothing to show for it....but I probably do.

Moving was the easy part. I have spent most of the last 2 years living out of my suitcase, so packing everything back up and heading down here wasn't that big of a thing physically. But I wasn't quite prepared for the emotional transition. I was crazy excited to get here and start working....or something. When I got here the Yorks (the senior missionaries here) were heading out on vacation, and the last of the short term mission teams from the states had just left. Meaning it was much needed down time for the other missionaries...and just plane boredom for me. Oh well!

That down time gave me the chance to concentrate on my Spanish. WOW!! Spanish here is a gooood bit different than the Spanish I learned in CR. This is going to take awhile to get used to. In just about every conversation there is a new word to learn that I just don't know (my vocab is weak at best), and on top of that there are words here in the DR that a way different than the CR counterparts. Add to that the crazy accent here that is sometimes hardly intelligible or the mumbling teens that I work with and it is a struggle just to understand, let alone be understood. That is going to be a looong road!!!

Oh yeah and there was a hurricane!! Good ole Irene stopped by for a quick visit. While we didn't get anywhere near what the north part of the island got (or the U.S. for that matter) we did get a lot of rain and wind. Waves that were crashing up onto the roads in Santo Domingo, and from what I read in the paper 3 deaths due to flooding. It has been a crazy couple of weeks!!!!!


No comments: