Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

March Madness...

It is absolutely wild to me how time is just flying by!!! I have now been living here for almost 8 months!!! Absolutely crazy!!! In that 8 months a lot has happened and there is still many changes coming my way! Here is what happened in March.

I have finally started feeling confident enough in my Spanish to start helping teach classes in Sunday school. These have been a lot of fun (as soon as got over the crazy nervousness of the first time). It is great to be able to start using all the knowledge that I gained at CCU. The hard part of course is translating it all so that all the Dominicans can understand. I am slowly improving and look forward to taking more of the responsibility in this area.

I also have started teaching conversational English classes to a few guys from the church here in La Romana. This has been an eye opening experience. It has been a challenge to figure out how to teach a class when the education system here is so lacking. I'm pretty sure that one of the guys I'm teaching is illiterate. But the desire is there and hopefully will be able to offset the inability.

We had a group from Central Christian Church in St Petersburg, FL here as well. We had fun hosting VBS's and sports camps in and around the church in Higuey. It was a blast getting translating and playing with all the children that came out to these events. In all we had over 800 kids come to all of our events. As a mission we were blessed to be able to host this group, they were a huge success and blessing to us all.

Along with all of this the youth of La Romana, Ryan and I went to camp for a long weekend during Holy Week in Salcedo. It was great finally being involved in a camp again and getting a chance to see how camps work here in the DR. It was a fantastic time of games and Biblical teaching. Everyone involved from La Romana returned home exhausted and enriched!!

No comments: